The Dulwich Photo Competition 2023
Terms and Conditions
Dulwich College International
11F Office Tower 2, Plaza 66
No. 1266 Nanjing West Road
Shanghai 200040, China
The Dulwich Photo Competition 2023 (the “Contest”) begins 6 March 2023 00:00:00 GMT and ends 24 April 2023 23:59:59 GMT.
ALL ENTRIES MUST BE RECEIVED BY 24 April 2023 23:59:59 GMT.
Information on how to enter and prizes form part of these official rules (“Official Rules”). By submitting an entry, each entrant agrees to the Official Rules and warrants that his or her entry complies with all requirements set out in the Official Rules. This is a skill-based contest and chance plays no part in the determination of winners.
By entering, entrants also agree (a) to be bound by these Official Rules; (b) that the decisions of the Judges are final and binding with respect to all matters relating to the Contest; and (c) if the entrant wins that Authorized Parties may use the winning photographs and each winner's name, photograph, likeness, and/or voice in any publicity or advertising relating to the Contest or future promotions without compensation or approval (except where prohibited by law).
Sponsor reserves the right to verify the validity and originality of any entry and/or entrant (including an entrant's identity and address) and to disqualify any entrant who submits an entry that is not in accordance with these Official Rules or who tampers with the entry process. Failure by Sponsor to enforce any of its rights at any stage does not constitute a waiver of those rights.
Entries are void if Sponsor determines the photograph to not be an original, or if the entries are incomplete, inaccessible or blocked, corrupted, damaged, irregular, altered, counterfeit, produced in error or obtained through fraud or theft.
Who may enter
Contest is open only to individuals who are a part of the EiM network. Judges and those affiliated with the operation and development of the photo competition will not be allowed to make submissions.
How to enter
Each Entrant is allowed to submit a maximum of three photos. To enter, visit photos.dulwich.org, complete an entry log-in profile with the required information, including your name, campus, year group, e-mail address, photo title, and a paragraph explaining the photo and its relation to the theme category.
Each entry must comply with the following requirements (the "Photograph Requirements"):
- Photographs must be in digital format. Only online entries will be eligible. No print or film submissions will be accepted for entry into this Contest. The photograph need not be taken with a digital camera; scans of negatives, transparencies, or photographic prints are acceptable. All digital files must be 20 megabytes or smaller, must be in JPEG or .jpg format, and must be at least 1,600 pixels wide (if a horizontal image) or 1,600 pixels tall (if a vertical image). Images smaller than 1600 pixels may be disqualified from the Contest.
- Photographs must have been taken within one (1) year before the date of entry.
- Only minor burning, dodging and/or color correction is acceptable, as is minor cropping. High dynamic range images (HDR) and stitched panoramas are acceptable. Any changes to the original photograph not itemized will render the photograph ineligible for a prize.
- The photograph, in its entirety, must be a single work of original material taken by the Contest entrant. By entering the Contest, entrant represents, acknowledges, and warrants that the submitted photograph is an original work created solely by the entrant, that the photograph does not infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or entity, and that no other party has any right, title, claim, or interest in the photograph. Fraudulent photos will result in dismissal of all submission from the entrant for that year and possibly the following year.
- The photograph must not, in the sole and unfettered discretion of the Sponsor, contain obscene, provocative, defamatory, sexually explicit, or otherwise objectionable or inappropriate content.
- The caption must be complete and accurate, sufficient to convey the circumstances in which the photograph was taken. Disguising or misrepresenting the origin of your content is cause for disqualification.
- Watermarks are not acceptable.
To attempt to provide different people with different opportunities the Contest has established that submissions will be separated by theme Category. 1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes will be awarded for all photos receiving the greatest number of votes in each category. Winners of each theme Category will be announced on the following week after the round is closed.
The entries will be judged in accordance with the Judging Criteria, as defined below. Proof of submission is not proof of receipt. Entries must be made by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of entry. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, internet domain owner, or other person or organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. Sponsor reserves the right to examine the original photograph/source material in order to confirm compliance with these rules.
There will be three (3) rounds of voting after submission is closed. Teachers from all participating schools will be volunteered to be the judges providing equality and professional judgements.
In voting round one (1), judges will pick no more than 3 favorites from each category. Photos with the greatest number of votes in round two (2) will be ranked in 1st, 2nd and 3rd places based on the theme Category and will be recognized as the theme prize winners. All photos chosen by the judges are searched for on the internet to ensure compliance with Rule 4.
In final round of voting, judges will pick one favorite photo from all 1st places winner from all Category. Photo with the highest vote from round three (3) will be recognized as the grand prize winner.
Winners will be announced on 17 May 2023.
Award certificates are issued, and all photos are displayed on the website for the following year.
- Category prizes will be awarded to the winning photos of each category with the greatest numbers of votes received and ranked up by 1st, 2nd and 3rd places.
- There will be one (1) Grand prize for the submitted photo that gets the most votes from the panel of judges. In case of a draw, the judges will select the winner at their own discretion.
- Each prize must be taken as stated and no compensation will be payable if a winner is unable to use the prize as stated. Prizes are not exchangeable or redeemable for cash or other goods or services. A prize cannot be transferred to any other person, unless agreed to by DCI. It is a condition of accepting a prize that the winner accepts the conditions of use of that prize.
- If the prize (or part of the prize) is unavailable, DCI, in its discretion, reserves the right to substitute the prize (or that part of the prize) with a prize to the equal value and/or specification, subject to any written directions from a regulatory authority.
- All entrants shall acknowledge, agree and comply with the general rules of the photography competition.
The Sponsor accepts no responsibility for any tax implications that may arise from accepting a prize. Independent financial advice should be sought.
All entrants hereby unreservedly consent to the DCI’s collection, disclosure, retention, use and sharing of personal data, including entries, arts, name, address, portrait, images, photographs and videos, relating to the entrants and for the purposes of DCI operations and activities, which directly or indirectly advance the educational, promotional and development of the DCI, including without limitation public communication through the DCI’s communication channels including the DCI’s materials, brochures, websites, advertisements or press releases to provide information on the intended curriculum, academic testing results, or the College’s academic, co-curricular, cultural and sporting activities and events, whether held by the DCI or in conjunction with its affiliates, or other schools located in or outside of the city or country in which the College is situated, unless such consent has been explicitly withheld by entrants in writing at the time of participating in the competition. All entrants further agree to the College sharing the above personal data with third party service providers located within or outside the PRC for the purposes stated above. The entrants further confirm that they are giving consent with respect to the collection, use, retention, disclosure and sharing of personal data relating to them.
Right of Dulwich College International to redraw
All entrants confirm and acknowledge that DCI reserves the right to redraw in the event of an entrant being unable to satisfy the general terms and conditions of the photography competition and forfeit the unclaimed prize. If the grand prize remains unclaimed by 30 June 2023, it will be transferred to a new winner whose photo has the second most votes. In case of a draw the judges will select the new winner at their own discretion. Any new winner determined in accordance with clause will be notified by email within 2 business days.
Limitation of liability and variation of terms
If any act, omission, event or circumstance occurs which is beyond the reasonable control of DCI and which prevents DCI from complying with these terms and conditions, DCI will not be liable for any failure to perform or delay in performing its obligations. DCI reserves the right (subject to any applicable law) to cancel, terminate or modify or suspend this competition. If Sponsor elects to cancel or terminate the Contest, Sponsor will not retain any rights in the submitted photographs.
DCI, its related affiliates and their respective officers, employees, contractors and agents will not be liable for any losses, damages, expenses, costs or personal injuries arising out of this prize, promotion, or the use of any prize, including but not limited to any breach of these terms and conditions, contract or tort (including negligence) and any other common law, equitable or statutory remedy (Damages) whatsoever, including but not limited to direct, indirect and consequential Damages, including Damages that cannot reasonably be considered to arise naturally and in the ordinary course of things, even if those Damages were in the contemplation of the DCI.
By entering this Contest, all entrants agree to release, discharge, and hold harmless Sponsor and its partners, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising agencies, agents and their employees, officers, directors, and representatives from any claims, losses, and damages arising out of their participation in this Contest or any Contest-related activities and the acceptance and use, misuse, or possession of any prize awarded hereunder.
Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, or delay in operation or transmission; communications line failure; theft or destruction of or unauthorized access to Contest entries or entry forms; or alteration of entries or entry forms.